Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Here’s Where the Henpecking Begins…

Writer’s Note: The title is a play on a song by the 90’s Alternative Group, The Sundays and their song, Here’s Where the Story Ends. I Just thought it was cool, anyone else remember that group?

Splenda, Sweet &Low or Equal? As long as my coffee gets sweetened, I could care less what gets it done. When me and my gf started dating, she introduced me to the Original Pancake House. If you haven’t been there, add it to your list of things to do before you die. Yes, there is usually a line because it is so good but it is well worth it. Over a stack of pancakes with eggs and sausage and her omelet, the “sugar” conversation was born. 

As I normally do, I reached for some packets of regular sugar and Sweet and Lo (Someone once told me they had a theory about mixing the two and how the Sweet & Lo enhances the regular sugar.  Hell, when two scientists have a discussion over a theory, sometimes it makes sense and that conversation did and I have mixed the two ever since) and my gf asked me what I was doing. I told her putting sugar in my coffee. She looked horrified and begged me to use Splenda. I really didn’t see what the big deal was, but she went on to remind me how bad Sweet & Lo was bad for me because it was known to cause cancer. My response, “Hell something is going to take me away from here”, as I stirred my coffee and began to drink.  Of course she didn’t like my response and began to tell me how bad it could be if I used the stuff on a regular basis. I am thinking at this point, she is the only high school teacher who has attended medical school! So I relented and as often as possible, I use Splenda in my coffee.

But then it got a bit more intense…

I am a huge fan of BBQing, it isn’t summer without the grill, some beer (or some alcoholic beverage), good music and friends/family to share it with. So she starts talking about grilling food and the potential it has to be unhealthy. Once again my response is something is going to kill me so why suck the joy out of BBQing?

I don’t like it when someone blows up my BBQ spot! Grilling out is sacred with me, don’t come at me with it’s unhealthy and maybe gas is better than charcoal.

Gas over charcoal????  I’m from the south, those are fighting words!!!

Before you start saying I am bitching about a woman who cares about me, let me stop you right there. I know this and I am very appreciative of that fact. However, I have always been a believer in “everything in moderation”. I don’t BBQ every day in the summer, I don’t drink coffee 24/7, I don’t drink booze 24/7 so relax, I got this! I think everyone has their vice or something that they enjoy and you should indulge in it as long as it doesn’t hurt you or others. There is nothing in this world that is truly good for you. Yeah sure, joggers are healthy until they drop dead for no reason, we see this happening quite frequently. So if I like BBQ and beer, let me have it. No one lives forever, life is to be enjoyed and not lived in fear. So go have that rack of ribs on the CHARCOAL grill, just remember after you lick all of the BBQ sauce off your fingers, belch and digest, take your happy pork filled ass to the gym. That’s what I am going to do, I need to stay healthy and sexified for my woman.

Class dismissed…

No comments: